The winning play will be selected by Producing Artistic Director, Gwendolyn Whiteside, and the Ensemble. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the Blue Ink Playwriting Award of $1,000 and receive a staged reading at American Blues Theater in Chicago.
There is a $5 administrative fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, and children’s plays are not accepted.
3. Playwrights may submit only one (1) manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. American Blues Theater reserves the Right-of-First-Refusal to produce the World-premiere of the winning manuscript for one (1) year beginning on date of the public announcement in March 2015.
7. Plays must be sent as a Word document or pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Send the $5 administrative fee to: American Blues Theater, 1016 N. Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60610 or pay online here:
9. Include your contact information (including address, phone number, and e-mail address) and a brief biography.
Submissions for the 2015 competition must be submitted no earlier than July 1, 2014 and no later than September 1, 2014.
American Blues Theater reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
American Blues Theater reserves the right to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.